Barbara Ganey Schaad (from Tillie & Friends)
- 3 lbs Potatoes peeled & cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 oz jar diced pimento drained
- Fresh parsley sprigs optional
- Tomato rose optional
- Peel and cut enough potatoes into ¼ inch slices to measure 8 cups. Combine potato slices, onion and ½ tsp salt in large Dutch oven, add water to cover. Bring to boil cover, reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in ¾ tsp salt and next 3 ingredients. (white pepper, chopped fresh parsley, diced pimento)
- Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish, pour sauce over mixture. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes. If desired, garnish with fresh parsley and tomato rose. Yum!